Monday, November 17, 2008

WHAT DO YOU LOVE?


We have this sign in my store that I just love. For me, it is a reminder that home should be a collection of all that matters to us. I think it is easy to get caught up in a certain style, or design concept that in the end produces a "model home', but not one that defines what matters most.

As I sit having my morning coffee.... I look around and see all of the things I love..... Photos on shelves in frames of various sizes and textures holding images of friends and family gathered for special moments in time. Lovely bound books on gardens and flowers. Books about Nantucket, and some favorite authors that live there and tell their stories. A beautiful hand crocheted afghan draped over the arm of the sofa that my Mom made me for my 40th birthday. That afghan surrounds me in warmth on chilly evenings while relaxing, reading or watching TV. My two furry companions, Teddy sitting right beside me on the couch, and Kobe stretched out at me feet. What would a home be without pets?

Look around you..... have you surrounded yourself with the things you love? What are they?

7 comments:

Neabear said...

I'm working on surrounding myself with the things I love. I need to get it to where I feel peace too. Not there yet. I tackle some each day to try to get my house to where it pleases me. I just find that hard to do sometimes.

Meadowsweet Days said...

I think our homes and ourselves are always a work in progress-- but we keep trying, that is what is really important! Peace, to you Linnea!

Carol

Cynthia's Cottage Design said...

what a sweet post! and its so true,sometimes I just look around and smile that im able to have such "pretties", it makes a home a home :)

I was down in Northport last night visiting my BFF and I wished it was earlier, Im dying to stop in and say hi :) so one of these days I will, I have lots of shopping to do anyway, so thats my intent :) Hope all is well with you!

~ Hugs ~ Cynthia

Dawn Marie said...

good post! I feel my home is surrounded by things I love and that have good memories for me. When I look around--I see things my adult children made for me when they were in grade school, a candle, clay pieces, vases. I see the first Afghan I ever bought,,,it has to be 20+ years old-all the kids curled up with at some point--I still have it!

I have pictures of my grandchildren, and I have things that I by that I enjoy...rocks with words on them are one of my favorites, the thinking girl is one, and i love my dog genie...cant get enough of her. On our fireplace mantel-i have the collars of our 2 dogs that grew up with our children..those always make me smile

a quiet life said...

i am surrounded by things i love, but sadly they move and have fur and create to much work to get to sit and be surrounded by the things i love! thats when i head outside in the garden and really love what surrounds me, dirt in its proper place!

CIELO said...

Continue enjoying evey bit of life, sweet lady... ;)

cielo

Cindy said...

I love that sign! I love surrounding myself with things I love! Most of the things that bring me the most joy have a sentimental value along with being beautiful.

When The Best Things In Life Come In Small Packages!! Happy Birthday, We all Love You So Much!!

">

My Store, Meadowsweet, Northport, NY

My Store, Meadowsweet, Northport, NY
All ready for Autumn!