Sunday, November 23, 2008

THE CHINA, THE WINE GLASSES, THE TABLECLOTH.......THE TABLE


This cold morning I am sitting with a big steamy mug of coffee and preparing my shopping list for the days ahead.  The tablecloth is ironed and hanging in the closet all ready to be placed, the china, the new lovely tall wine glasses with golden circles surrounding them that will compliment my china so well..... everything ready for the gathering of family and friends all of whom I am the most thankful for.

In all of this preparation, we give little thought to the table itself, that "gathering place" that brings us all together.   My son, Bill, gave me a card some years ago, and the message is so endearing that it sits among other treasures in my bookshelves all these years later.  The message is a reminder that no matter if your table is crafted from the finest wood, or the simplest pine, it's that special place where its members may change from year to year, some are added and some no longer with us, but the memories of the time spent gathered around that table grow more precious as the years pass.  So here is that message, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  
 
 It's just a kitchen table,
much the worse for years of wear,
with memories
in each scratch and stain
from all that happened there~
the paint that never would come off,
a scissor nick or two,
the dent where something heavy dropped,
a bump of dried-up glue...
the scorch left by a cookie sheet,
the surface worn and faded
where hands were held
and elbows propped and countless stories traded.
It doesn't show the teardrops,
and it has no voice to tell
the secrets shared, the joys revealed,
but those are there as well.
Around that kitchen table,
life was happy and secure,
and my heart will feel that love
as long as memories endure.
Happy Thanksgiving!

9 comments:

Dawn Marie said...

What a pretty dining room set. I've had mine now for probably about 25 years or more. The table itself is almost new looking but the chairs...well its WAY past time for wood glue. I've been debating for the last couple of years to get a new set--I really would like a white dining table. I still am not sure as to what I'm going to do.

I have dishes I only use once a year for holidays and last year I also bought some pretty glasses with gold trim that we use for Iced Lemon Water.

Thanksgiving is my all time favorite..I so look forward to making the meal AND eating it. We also watch Uncle Buck and Planes Trains and Automobiles each year with whoever of our 5 kids comes over. This year my 2nd son wont be here..he and his family are leaving for a drive to Florida tomorrow! We will miss him...

Meadowsweet Days said...

Hi Dawn,
Thank you! This kitchen table is new since moving to this house 3 years ago. My son, the one that gave me the card, has our original table now. I love Thanksgiving too! I know it's hard when all of your children are not there. I have had that as well through the years. We would like everything to remain the same, right? Happy Thanksgiving to you, and your family-- and I hope you get your white dining set!
xo
Carol

Tea Time With Melody said...

I loved the inscription of the card your son gave you. It is amazing the imprints we leave on our kids without really knowing until they get older. And HE has the table now, that is just grand. I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday.

Neabear said...

That is a cool poem. I should print it up to share on Thanksgiving. Should spark some interesting conversation on memories. Hmmm....I love that pretty table in your picture. That is your table right. Such a light filled room. Ahhhh....

Meadowsweet Days said...

Hi Linnea,
Yes, that is my kitchen table. The whole back of the house is a southern exposure, so the sun streams in in the morning, it really is lovely, and ideal for a garden.
Carol

Kristens Creations said...

Thanks for your visit and your nice comments! Yes,if I lived closer I would come work for you. Your shop looks so pretty! Kristen

CIELO said...

What a beautiful dinning room.... and table; just a lovely place to be... ;)

hugs

cielo

Designs on 47th Street said...

Hi! I just found you through Kristen's blog. I'm another floral designer with a new blog. I'm so glad I found you. Everything looks beautiful here!

Tiffany Spencer said...

This waas lovely to read

When The Best Things In Life Come In Small Packages!! Happy Birthday, We all Love You So Much!!

">

My Store, Meadowsweet, Northport, NY

My Store, Meadowsweet, Northport, NY
All ready for Autumn!