Sunday, December 21, 2008

SIMMERING POTPOURRI....Holiday "Scentiments" and An Evening at Home

After a long busy week of holiday celebrations, shopping and shoveling snow, it's time to stop and smell the..... well, simmering potpourri.  I like to make my own stove top version with all my favorite holiday scents.  I make a batch of this and simmer it all day long in a red crock pot in the store.  As customers enter they are immediately welcomed by the warm scent of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.  They love it!  And so, on a rainy night such as this, I love to fill my home with my favorite scents of the season and just enjoy being at home.
The measurements need not be exact, and you can alter it with whatever scents you enjoy.  To make my version, blend one teaspoon each:
Cloves (ground or whole)
Nutmeg (I like to grind my own)
Pumpkin Pie Spice
Cinnamon
Allspice
Vanilla
Vanilla Bean
Cinnamon Sticks
Orange Rind
Granny Smith Apple (cut off upper half)
1 Cup Apple Juice
1 Cup water
Add all ingredients to a small pot and let it gently simmer......

Enjoy!




8 comments:

Marilyn said...

Carol,

MMMMMMMM, I can almost smell that potpourri from here! What a delight for the senses.

Meadowsweet Days said...

Sending holiday scents your way, Marilyn!

nikkicrumpet said...

I love that you are so clever and creative that you make your own! I bet it smells so much better than the store bought versions! But sheeesh I don't even cook food...my hubby would pass out if I cooked potpourri!

a quiet life said...

it smells wonderful and i want to drink it too!

Kathleen said...

Hi Meadowsweet,
Lovely blog..I am your neighbor all the way East on L.I.
I am going to look up your shop...
I found you through Jain's blog...
Kathleen
cuisinekathleen.blogspot.com

Designs on 47th Street said...

What a welcoming treat for your customers. Don't you know that really entices them to stay a little longer too! ;)
NY is far from me, so I travel to Dallas for their shows. Will be going in just a few short weeks. Thanks for your compliments. I love seeing your work as well. I'm really glad we met!
Donna

cottage farm villa said...

I am SMELLING it's lovely scent now!!!! What a great concoction!! I haven't done this in so many years...I always rely on my candles, but the spiced potpourri used to be my fave....I will have to get back to it! Thank you.

and once in a blue moon has the right idea....let's drink it to...it would have to have some affect on the brain!! LOL

Neabear said...

That sounds like it smells absolutely scrumptous. I love those kinds of scents. Merry Christmas!!

When The Best Things In Life Come In Small Packages!! Happy Birthday, We all Love You So Much!!

">

My Store, Meadowsweet, Northport, NY

My Store, Meadowsweet, Northport, NY
All ready for Autumn!